The Square was originally a street and in 1722 was called “Disznósarok” (pig’s corner), since pigs were driven out to the fields from here.
In 1864 the square was created after the purchase of the vegetable garden of the Hospitaller Order. Konzum shopping mall was built at the southern side of the square in the 1970s. It is covered with blue and white Zsolnay tiles and was the first building in Pécs to have escalators. The corner of the building is ornamented by the sculpture of a woman by György Fürtös.