The first church in the city - in every sense. When the church was consecrated in 1891 in the presence of the bishops of the country and the Apostolic King Franz Joseph I in a splendid ceremony, the Budapest newspapers wrote: "Whoever wants to see heaven, come to Pécs!"The Cathedral of St. Peter and St. Paul is a special building. It was rebuilt in the 19th century, but even when rebuilt it retains the charm of a medieval cathedral. Entering the cathedral reveals a vast interior divided by a triumphal arch, the effect of which is enhanced by the main altar with its tabernacle. The choir is surmounted by four manual organs with 6101 pipes, made by the former Angster Organ Factory in Pécs. The Chapels of the Sacred Heart and Corpus Christi are decorated with murals by Károly Lotz. Bertalan Székely's world-famous wall paintings can be seen in the Chapel of Mary and in the chapel named after Bishop Saint Mór. In the 12th century, the remains of Janus Pannonius, Bishop of Pécs and humanist, were found and reburied during archaeological excavations in the large, cross-vaulted, five-bay basilica. A statue in his honour was erected there. The southeast tower of the imposing building, which preserves the spirit of the millennia-old past, offers a stunning view of the city.
Individual ticket prices:
- Full price: 2.400 HUF
- Discounted: 1.900 HUF
Group ticket prices:
- Full price: 2.200 HUF
- Discounted: 1,700 HUF
- Family ticket price: 4.800 HUF
- Free admission for children under 6 years.
- Family tickets are valid for up to 5 persons.
- For 4 persons, there must be at least one child/student, for 5 persons, there must be 2 children/students.
- For families of more than 5 persons, additional discounts are available for those with a large family card.
- Group tickets are valid for groups of 10 or more (over 15 people 1 accompanying person free of charge, over 30 people 2 accompanying persons free of charge).
- Disabled persons are admitted free of charge.
Tuesday-Friday: 18:00 (Corpus Christi Chapel)
Saturday: 18:00 (latin mass)
Sunday 8:00, 9:30, 18:00
From the main railway station you have to take bus number 44. Get off at Szent István Square.
|Monday:||09:00 - 17:00|
|Tuesday:||09:00 - 17:00|
|Wednesday:||09:00 - 17:00|
|Thursday:||09:00 - 17:00|
|Friday:||09:00 - 17:00|
|Saturday:||09:00 - 17:00|
|Sunday:||11:30 - 17:00|