Mohács is a town in the south-eastern part of Baranya county, on the two banks of the Danube.
It is located at the junction of the 56th and 57th main roads. The first written mention of Mohács dates back to 1093. The fishing village, which belonged to the Bishop of Pécs, began to stand out from the surrounding settlements in the 12th and 13th centuries, when it became a centre of the estate due to its favourable location. Its development was interrupted by a battle with the Turkish armies in 1526, a battle of sad memory fought near the town. In the early 18th century, Hungarian, Swabian, Sochac and Serb settlers began to settle in the depopulated countryside, which had been abandoned under Turkish occupation. It was then that the town became multi-ethnic. In the 18th and 19th centuries, it regained its privileges as a farming town from the bishop and became the economic and cultural centre of the area.
The real attraction of Mohács, apart from its historical monuments, is its cultural events, the world-famous Busójárás, the summer festivals, the celebration of the wines of the area and the Harvest Festival.
How to get there
It is directly accessible by bus from the Pécs bus station. By car you have to go in the direction of road 57.