Miklós Zsolnay, a wealthy Pécs merchant, started this business when he bought a small Hard Tile Manufacture for his older son, Ignác. This happened in 1853. But as the boy almost led the company to bankruptcy, leadership was taken over by his brother Vilmos after ...
Zsolnay Cultural Quarter
The Zsolnay Quarter might just be the most beautiful gem of Pécs. One of the most important developments that took place as part of the European Capital of Culture programme was the renovation of the listed Zsolnay factory buildings, which had become dilapidated and for the most part unused.
Zsolnay Business House
At the corner of Király Street’s promenade of businesses, shops and cafes, and Szécheny Square stands.
The campus can be found running Parallel to the main road. This part was already separated from the central factory plant by the road during the Zsolnay Factory’s existence.
In front of the Hospitaller church stands a Secession style eosin fountain. Miklós Zsolnay, son of the founder of the Zsolnay factory, Vilmos Zsolnay, offered to donate a fountain to the city in memory of his father.
The fountain is made of pyrogranite and was erected in 1968 for the centennial of the factory established by the Zsolnay family.
The museum has found a home worthy of it in the oldest house of Pécs. The Gothic building, with sitting niches was first mentioned in 1324.
The building that was renovated in 2010 and stands on a hill about 200 meters from the Zsolnay Cultural Quarter is the burial place of the Zsolnay family.
Zsolnay Live Manufacture
The Live Manufacture is not merely décor but ceramic art in the making.
The Pink Zsolnay Exhibition
At the beginning was the pink – this is the motto of the exhibition, and is meant to express the steps of product introduction of the Zsolnay Factory that led from hard tile manufacture to the production of exclusive ornaments.
The Golden Age of the Zsolnay - Gyugyi collection
The unrivalled collection owned by Hungarian László Gyugyi, who emigrated to the USA, numbers more than 600 objects of Zsolnay ceramics from the age of Historism and Secession.
The former Vasváry-apartment was built by György Vasváry, one of the wealthiest merchants of Pécs, in 1884.
m21 Gallery of Pécs
This is a 1300m2 exhibition hall and workshop of contemporary art while it also provides a space for special events.
Lab – Interactive House of Playful Science
The Visitors Centre placed in the heart of the Zsolnay Cultural Quarter used to be a laboratory where high voltage porcelain dielectrics were tested.
1861 Glove Manufactory
In the city of Pécs, traditional glove production has a history stretching back more than 150 years. Its greatness and individuality resides in the fact that during the years it has preserved its philosophy and classical procedures combined with the trends and techniques of today’s fashion.
Pécs was already using state-of-the-art technology in the age of optical planetariums when the original institute, the first of its kind in Hungary, was opened to the public in 1975.
It is unlikely that Pécs will ever have a more eclectic building. Besides the canopy figures evokinging Gothic and French Renaissance style motifs, Secession appears as well.
Statue of Vilmos Zsolnay
It was unveiled in 1907 as part of a huge ceremony at the end of the avenue leading from the railway station to the city, seven years after the death of Zsolnay. Its pentagonal base represents Pécs, the city of five churches.
Statue of the Virgin Mary
This white glazed pyrogranite statue standing in front of the Pauline church is the work of András Sinkó.
On the green island at the crossroads in front of the Pauline church stands a piece of art by Victor Vasarely (originally Győző Vásárhelyi, a local artist).
"Bóbita" Puppet Theatre
The Mattyasovszky House provides the new home for the “Bóbita” Puppet Theatre, established in 1961.